Being born on the first of January has its perks, but also its disadvantages. Let’s talk about the perks. Being a New Year’s baby means that all your true friends will Never forget your birthday because, I mean, its New Years! Being born on the first of January also means that I don’t ever have to plan a party in my Life!! Just gate crash any new years’ eve celebrations, tell them its my birthday on the first, and watch God do the work. While fireworks are in the air, painting the sky with mosaics of purples, bright pinks and gold, I’ll be hearing happy birthday, from everyone around me who knows it’s my birthday. Its truly magical.
This year I had the pleasure of sharing my birthday with everybody that came to cross over into the new year at the Sun Arena New Year’s Eve Block Party. We arrived there at 23:30 with the sounds of popular DJs in our ears, we entered the sun arena with DJ fresh on the decks. Ayanda MVP started the count down and in no time, it was 2019. It was madness, with cries of laughter and shouts of joy. I, on the other hand, I was happy, full, content. As I reflected on the year passed and, blessed to be in the year beginning, safe and sound.
There are tons of lessons I learned in 2018. Ill share a few with you now.
- I learned that family sometimes can turn into distant relatives and that friends can become your closest family.
- For the longest time, I felt obligated to be my sister’s keeper, as I’m the eldest at home. 2018 BROKE THOSE TIES. I decided to stop caring as much as I used to, and focus on my own life. When the time comes for me to leave this world, I don’t want to have regrets. I don’t want to sit there, thinking; I wish I had done a lot more for myself, I wish I had put myself first.
- To be honest with you, I’ve raised children in my life that weren’t mine. And, I don’t have kids, yet. I don’t regret my decisions, I accept them, and I move on from that life. But raising these none biological children made me realize that, the process of raising kids, doesn’t come with a pat on the back. Neither does it come with appreciative kids. I’ve raised them, but I’ve learnt not to expect respect from them, not to expect appreciation from them, not to expect them to understand my choices as a ‘parent’. Never force a way of thinking, if its not there, its not there.
- 2018 helped me to realize that I am my own person, and my successes and failures are a product of myself and people around me.
- 2018 made me realize that you can’t find a husband at 2 am in the morning, but that doesn’t mean that you are going to find a spouse at 1 pm at church either. The love of your life is waiting for you where you are, where you go, but more importantly, the love of your life is waiting for you where you are living your life, having fun, helping others, being great, etc. don’t go looking for love, love will always find you.
- Another lesson I learnt in 2018 is, live a good life, take chances, take risks, get scars, heal, climb bridges, fly down mountains, just LIVE.
- One last lesson I learnt in 2018 – Happiness is the door to all greatness. I needed to distance myself from those who kept me in tears, those who didn’t want to understand.
I learned that until you have these words in your vocabulary, ‘ OK, HOW DO WE REACH A COMPROMISE’, your relationships will not work! People always want you to see it from their point of view, but stepping into each other’s shoes, should be a two-way experience.
Ok Beatrice, how do we resolve this? Ok, what can I do to make things better? Ok, can I suggest a solution that could work for both of us? Alright, you know what, lets do this your way today, and my way next time. DONE
I received so many texts of well wishes and happy birthday on Facebook and Instagram and my heart is full.
I feel so loved, appreciated, understood. Tumi Keokame , a friend from long ago, wrote a status update on Facebook saying, ‘
May you attract someone who speaks your language so you don’t have to spend a lifetime translating your soul… ?? ‘
All we want as people, is to be understood. Can i get an AMEN!!!
My mother called me a few times on my birthday and gave me birthday presents. My 2 other sisters and brother did that as well. I got happy birthday songs as voice notes from friends and dresses from a special someone and shoes and other beauty gifts from family. I HAD THE TIME OF MY LIFE!!! And ate pizza for breakfast the following morning. LOL
Regalo Joints called me to wish me a happy birthday and I was moved to tears. He said – and I’m paraphrasing – ‘ don’t be a stranger Beatrice, we should record more songs soon. After chatting that one day I sort of like know what kind of a person you are. And even thou we don’t hang out much, I know that you like to keep to yourself, and its ok. We see each other on social media and I can tell with your subtle social media posts that you might be feeling a bit down on a day and I can tell when you are genuinely happy.’
Regalo moved me to tears because, he knows and understands me, without me having to explain myself. And for that, I will forever be grateful.
I could go on and on about the 1st of January 2018. But it’s gone now and my next birthday is NEXT YEAR lol!!!
This pictures were taken at the B2 Parking lot at Sun Arena Menlyn Main, Block Party. A young photoshoot, showing how truly happy I am. And what a beautiful year 2019 is going to be, for everyone.
Dress from YDE
Shoes: Steve Madden
Bag: New LOOK UK
Hair: MY OWN. P.S I wasn’t sure if I should cross over the new year with my own hair or a weave, but I’m sure glad I was my authentic self! Thanks to everyone on social media who said YAAAAASSSS for the afro.
What a birthday!!!!!