HEALTHY DINNER IDEAS FUMO RESTAURANT
Ever heard the saying, ‘Eat breakfast like king,lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper’? Well, I’ve been hearing this my entire life, courtesy of my loving mother. I didn’t really take what she said about food, breakfast, dinner seriously until a couple of years ago. Her rationale is that eat a lot of food in the morning, so that when lunch time comes you are not starving. Once you have had your kings breakfast and prince lunch, it will be easier for you not to eat too much at dinner because you won’t be that hungry anyway.
Our biggest problem as a people is that we are masters of (bad) habit. Because we grew up eating a hectic dinners living with our parents we carry on those habits even in our adulthood, living alone or with our own families. We get home and we cook, as per habit, a huge meal and we FINISH it. Truth is, if we do massive dinners at night, we store a lot of energy , which later turns to sugar, and if not used up, turns to fat. (lol, there! I said it)
Here are quick and easy ways to HEALTHY DINNER IDEAS FUMO RESTAURANT INSPIRED
1. Try to eat your last meal at 6 pm: In this way you have enough time to digest your meal and subsequently use up the energy you would have acquired through it. Thus going to bed with already digested food, leading to a peaceful nights rest. But what do you do if you wake up in the middle of the night hungry? Drink a glass of juice or water then go back to bed. Do this for more than 22 days to break the habit of waking up at night and eating unnecessary carbohydrates. (Get more recipes here)
2. Swop your carbohydrates for protein: Protein can be converted to energy but carbohydrates cannot be converted to protein. So when you eat protein you are getting both of both worlds. Try to eat lean protein like chicken, fish, turkey etc. Try avoid beef and other red meats , but if you must, eat them in very small portions
3. Don’t forgo the vegetables: Vegetables are life and essential to good bowel movements, beautiful skin and a boosted immune system. Each meal has to be balanced. Try adding different coloured vegetables to your meals; I personally love greens but yellows, orange veggies, reds and other colours are also recommended.
( Sautéed spinach with chilies in olive oil)
4. Prepare or think about dinner in the morning: That way you are not blind-sided when you get home and the dinner you wanted to eat is not available. At least keep a mental note of your dinner so that you can buy the missing ingredients after work before you get home. Makes life so much easier.
5. Avoid snacking after dinner: Try drinking water if you feel like eating, sometimes it is thirst talking and not hunger, I mean you have just eaten dinner. Listen to your body but don’t allow it to blackmail you.
To some these steps are easy, to some, wow, a huge mountain to climb. But if you want to live a more healthy life some old habits have to die and new ones have to be born and if you are struggling, be patient, keep at it, it gets easier with time.
( These images were taken at FUMO Restaurant in Groenkloof, Pretoria)
Some of my favorite food Quotes:
He who eats alone chokes alone. ~Proverb
Shipping is a terrible thing to do to vegetables. They probably get jet-lagged, just like people. ~Elizabeth Berry ( This one killed me, lol jet lagged veggies)
You know an odd feeling? Sitting on the toilet eating a chocolate candy bar. ~George Carlin ( lol who does this)
Never work before breakfast; if you have to work before breakfast, eat your breakfast first. ~ Josh Billings ( YES! TRUTH)
Read more quotes HERE and more recipes here: http://www.simpledish.com/recipes/dinner